Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Wellington

    February 15, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 68 °F

    Day 6
    We woke up and had breakfast at the hotel and then were on the bus at 8:30am. On our way out of town we stopped to see the carrot playground that had a giant carrot; we took a group photo and were on our way. After about 45 minutes in the car we stopped in a town called Taihape (famous for gumboot throwing competitions) to go to the bathroom and throw some gumboots (a rubber rain boot). It was a nice stop to get out of the bus and do something different. As we got closer to Wellington we began driving along the coast, and because it was such a clear day, we were able to see the south island. We got to the hotel (Abel Tasman Hotel) and had some time to hang before meeting in reception at 4pm for an optional dinner at a pizza place (which I went to). After dinner we went to a rugby game in the city, Hurricanes (the Wellington team) vs. The Sharks (South Africa). It was so much fun to see the game and it is like a combination of soccer and football. The stadium was half empty but it was the first home game and everyone was excited, plus they won. After the game we went to Singlo bar and got a free shot and then $5-$7 cocktails and it was just us in the bar. We were having a great time dancing and chatting and after maybe an hour Dan suddenly had a change bars to one down the street called Danger Danger. I wasn’t a huge fan of the vibes there plus it was getting late, so I left to walk back to the hotel.

    Day 7
    Today we had a free day to wander the city. I went down to breakfast and sat with a couple of the other girls (Taylah, Taylah, Emma, Steph, and Georgia), we decided to grab coffee across the road and then walk around. We spent some time walking up and down the city streets and doing some shopping at Glassons (a store similar to express, I bought a romper here). We went back to the hotel to drop off our shopping bags and then Taylah, Taylah, Emma and I went and got some lunch at a pasta place. Wellington is known for its wind and I can totally see why, definitely not a place to wear a dress. I went back to the hotel, showered and then met in reception for optional bowling. I was surprised how good everyone was and it was only $20 NZ for 2 games, super cheap. After bowling we walked to our optional dinner at Hummingbird, where we got a free wine or beer, chicken and pot roast (it was really good), vegetables and potatoes. The meal was supposed to be a 3 course meal so I guess they considered bread a course. It honestly wasn’t worth the money in my opinion but the wine wasn’t bad. After dinner we went back to the hostel because we had to get up early the following morning to catch the ferry to the south island.
    Read more