Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    A bit (too) high

    September 4, 2016 in Scotland ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Still on the Highlands tourist route. Roads getting smaller and hills steeper, up to 29%. So glad we took the 180 hp engine. Today we needed all of it. Passed the Lecht ski resort at the higest point (640m). From there downhill again. Close to Grantown on Spey it was up and down again.

    Situated in the stunning location in Eastern Cairngorms at 2,090 ft above sea level it is in the heart of Scotland’s largest National Park.
    Operating since the mid 1970s, the resort has grown from one ski tow to a year-round highland activity centre with 20 maintained ski runs and 13 lifts. This is one of Scotland’s top ski resorts and is accessible from one of the most scenically beautiful roads in Scotland, the A939, between Tomintoul and Strathdon and can be reached easily from Speyside and Aviemore, Donside and Aberdeen as well as royal Deeside.

    This natural playground offers exciting outdoor activities for both the summer and winter seasons. With the snow-making facility it offers some of the most consistent snow and is ideal for all levels of skiers and snowboarders but especially good for beginners and intermediates. All equipment can be hired online or at the centre it is strongly recommended to book it in advance due to a high demand. Clothing can be hired onsite in the Ski Snow Shop. The ski school provides also a range of trainings to develop skiing skills.

    In the summer months the centre has two mountain bike trails, no need to push up the hill, simply attach your bike to the 3 man chairlift and up you go. Calling before travelling is recommended to check weather conditions as high winds can affect the running on the chairlift.

    With the help of very friendly staff visitors are guaranteed to have enjoyable days out on the hills.
    Read more