Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Glenfinnan

    September 9, 2016 in Scotland ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    Hoped to see the bridge, used in the Harry Potter movies. All parking places were full and we ended at the little train station, blocking the traffic. Have seen the train but had no time to make a picture. As we couldn't park anywhere and had to wait 3.5 hours for the next train, we decided to go further to our next camping place

    Scattered along the main road, Glenfinnan is situated at the head of Loch Shiel which stretches south west for 20 miles to Acharacle.
    Glenfinnan attracts many thousands of visitors from around the world to experience the stunning scenery but also the special atmosphere. The famous Glenfinnan viaduct carries the railway to Glenfinnan Station across a 1,000 ft span, 100 ft above the ground. The Jacobite steam train runs from here to Fort William and Mallaig in summer months with regular trains available the rest of the year.

    The filming of the second and third Harry Potter books, Harry Potter and the Chambers of Secret and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban took place in this area with the Hogwarts Express calling at Glenfinnan! In August every year, on the Saturday closest to 19 August, the Glenfinnan Gathering and Games take place.

    Another must-see is the Glenfinnan Monument and Visitor Centre, which commemorates the Jacobite clansmen who fought and gave their lives in support of Charles Edward Stuart, often called "Bonnie Prince Charlie".

    Source: https://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villag…
    Read more