Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 4 • Saint-Cirq-Lapopie

    July 6, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    Already a fabulous day, and we still had Saint-Cirq-Lapopie to look forward to. After the chemin de halage, we had a short few kms to walk along the river, followed by a steep 600 metre climb that would take us directly to the main square of Saint-Cirq-Lapopie.

    What a delightful village - winding cobble stone streets, stone and timber houses, charming artisan and produce shops, cafes, restaurants, glaciers, market umbrellas and colourful flower boxes, fantastic views in every direction.

    We stayed at the excellent Auberge Sombral, spent the afternoon strolling around the village, enjoyed an aperitif with a French couple we'd met along the way - first in Le Picarel chambre d'hote on Day 2 of our walk and again in Cabrerets. They were also staying at the Auberge . Later in the evening, a yummy dinner at Le Gourmet Quercynois.

    Yes, it's 'touristy' compared to where we've been - but why wouldn't people want to visit such a fabulous town. We didn't find it crowded - especially in the evening. If you have the opportunity to visit here - even stay the night - it's a treat. My photos don't do it justice - I think I was a little tired after walking in the heat of the day. But this Tourisme de Lot site gives some history and delightful descriptions.

    https://www.tourisme-lot.com/les-incontournable…

    Tomorrow morning, we'll go back the way we came to rejoin the camino path and make our way to Bouzies and beyond. Usually having to retrace 4 or 5 kms would be a bit of a chore - but not this time. We are delighted to have the chance to walk the chemin de halage again, from the other direction. More photos and another video to come tomorrow😎
    Read more