Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2 • Marsaxlokk and St Peter’s Pool

    March 23 in Malta ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Today we took the bus, actually two buses, to Marsaxlokk (pron. I’m still not sure?), described as a small traditional fishing village in the south east of the island. It’s only about 7 kms from where we are staying, as the crow flies, but it took much longer than expected due to busy Saturday traffic and a missed bus connection.

    Marsaxlokk seemed a bit larger than a village to me, and there were plenty of tourists (like us) and harbourside stalls with tacky souvenirs (which we resisted) - so not so traditional in that sense. But fishing is definitely still the main game in town. The traditional brightly coloured fishing boats are charming and the larger fishing trawlers impressive.

    We enjoyed a delicious seafood lunch at one of the many restaurants along the waterfront, watching the world go by and the hard working fishermen untangling and organising their nets ready for the next early morning start. As The French often says, ‘le spectacle est dans la rué - the show is in the street.

    But the highlight of the day came later. We walked away from ‘downtown Marsaxlokk’´ over a hill and around to another bay and another world. We saw only a handful of people walking the path to St Peter’s Pool and beyond - sparkling white cliffs and clear blue green turquoise water - what a treat. 😎

    Later, we walked back to Marsaxlokk - maybe a 5 km round trip - and caught the #81 bus followed by the #2, a much faster trip back. We arrived home happy and tired after another day of discovery in Malta.

    Not sure yet what we’ll do tomorrow but we are spoilt for choice. ❤️ 🇲🇹 ❤️
    Read more