Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Where the winds hit heavy on the border

    October 31, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    We left Gatlinburg after eating a stack of pancakes at the Pancake Pantry. Everybody was dressed up since it’s Halloween! I had like 30 cups of coffee and some classic pancakes while Dani had some blueberry pancakes that we couldn’t finish. There was a huge mothership of butter that the waitresses used to serve the customers tiny spoons of butter in an endless butter festival.

    Dani wanted to drive this time so when we returned to Great Smoky Mountains for a quick one hour spin with the hope of seeing some bears, that even though it didn’t yield the expected result, the views were breathtaking.

    It’s hard to say goodbye to these views, when you’re in front of them you get the feeling that you could stay in front of them forever, but traveling always reminds you that in order to see more you have to let go.
    I hate letting go.

    Next stop, Sevierville. Why? Dolly Parton statue.
    On our way we crossed Pigeon Forge, an amazing town full of, how to describe it? Everything and nothing all at once.
    There was a Titanic, a King Kong, a Mt Rushmore of actors and dozens of nightmarish attractions that you wouldn’t spend a buck entering them. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t be mesmerised by them!

    Sevierville was cute, there was Dolly’s statue in the middle of the town and after walking around for a few minutes we were headed to Knoxville.

    The Sunsphere was in one of my favourite episodes of the Simpsons, and I’ve probably seen and laughed a thousand times over the same jokers. It’s about a road trip that goes wrong, but, which road trip is perfect? You learn as you go.

    When we arrived in Knoxville it was impossible to park and I was starting to get hungry, so I took my iconic Simpsons picture and we hit the road again.

    We had lunch at a diner called Courtney’s diner in Harriman, Tennessee, a couple of burgers in a family run joint, what else can you ask for? Sadly we weren’t very hungry and had no room for dessert, too bad, the pies looked amazing.

    When we got to Nashville I smiled because the hotel is in front of the Titan’s stadium, that although I hate that NFL more than any other, it’s still cool.

    Since it’s Halloween, I googled the best neighbourhoods to trick or treat and we walked to the closest one to see some kids in action. It’s funny because we’ve never seen Halloween live because we didn’t grow up in the USA, but that doesn’t mean that we haven’t seen a billion scenes on TV about this really cool children activity.

    It’s all true, the decorations, the excited kids, and people just being happy, making children smile by giving them candy. What can be more simple than that?

    Unfortunately it started raining, and after an hour of seeing cool costumes having a great time, we went to the hotel in an Uber.

    We chilled for a while and went for some Greek food, where an octopus had a great message waiting for me.

    Everything is gonna be fine, I just have to learn to roll with the punches.
    Read more