Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Out and About in Kaua'i

    November 27, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    What a great day! Darla and Rick rented a van, and we had a delightful day of waterfalls and beautiful views with them, Judy and Glenn.

    We used Shaka Audio tours in the car. The first stop was Wailua Falls- 200 feet tall. There's no getting close to it, but the view from afar was breathtaking. There was a lady selling a large variety of banana bread, and we settled on one with walnuts.

    We saw several heiaus- place of various types of worship delineated by large square rock structures. The structure first of these was not well delineated- looked more like some piles of rocks- but the area is sacred, nonetheless. The first was near the Hilton Garden Inn Resort, which happened to have a Sunday craft market that we visited.

    The next heiau was very distinct, and near it we're "birthing rocks." I can think of more comfortable places...

    Then to a Buddhist monastery, where we missed the entry time by a few minutes. We did walk around the grounds, and I saw what I decided was the Buddhist version of a garden troll.

    Another breathtaking waterfall, seen from afar. We went to an arboretum- a small grove of trees near a creek that featured beautiful rainbow eucalyptus.

    We spotted some food trucks, and had fish tacos, quesadillas and the like.

    We ended the trip with a pull off into the Marriott Resort, where we parked near the golf course to enjoy the banana bread we purchased earlier.

    Then back to the ship- nap, then dinner in Taste- grilled veg and broiled Hake for me, clam chowder & Hake for Wayne. I topped it off with some mint chocolate mousse- extremely yummy.
    Read more