Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Arrecife, Lanzarote

    April 6 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Lots of volcanoes-some 10 -13 million years old. Our excursion took us to Timanfaye National Park. There was volcanic activity in 1800s- Latest activity 1824.

    We had demos of how hot the earth is- not too far down. We were handed hot ash, saw some brush burst into flame when placed in a shallow pit, and geyser-appearing spurts when water was poured into a tubular hole.

    Driving through the park was fascinating. There were black and red ash and rock. There were dramatic contrasts between the very rough huge chunks of lava rock, and the smooth appearance of the ash. (Note- it only look smooth- but very chunky when one wears sandals on an excursion.) I saw some mini-Basalt columns.

    On to the green lake which gets its color from a concentration of algae. It"s really green- also some good views of a black sand beach below the walkway.

    We then proceeded to the wine tasting- or rather wine taste. We had a choice of dry or sweet (only one or the other.) My best guess. is that 10ml is a generous estimate for the volume. So perhaps "wine tasting" is a somewhat embellished description. The identical tour minus the wine was $25 less. (Hmmm..... Expensive tablespoon of not very good wine.)

    On our way back to the ship we saw a monument to the local animals- donkeys, camels, and something else(?). Takes some imagination.

    Back on the 8th deck, my pharmacy was pressed into action- one friend with a cold, another with a girl problem. I live to serve.

    😥We lose an hour tonight.
    Read more