Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Cape Hauy and Fortescue Bay

    April 4, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    After getting back from Maria Island in the afternoon we were happy to see Hans was still there and waiting for us. After a quick 4!!$ shower in the bathroom of the information center (and when I say bathroom I mean I could have sat down on the toilet while showering) we had fantastic fish and chips at the local take a way booth together with a super tasty wine (Airlie Bank Gris - seems like this winery has become our favourite). The adventurers we are, we had set out to Maria island packing a 2 year old instant rice pack from Ikea which turned out to be insect infested. Hence, we were really happy to get a hearty dinner!
    The morning after, we left little Triabunna towards the Tasman Peninsula to take a look at Cape Hauy. By now we had also basically set our SatNav to shortest rout instead of fastest which meant another dirt road track Hans had to take us through. Beautiful forest instead of highway views (though Tassie’s highway views aren’t bad either). This time, unfortunately, we didn’t leave the road without casualties. I’m afraid all the vibration got one of the relays into hypermode since now the right turn signal is twice the frequency. It gives right turns the kind of urgency they deserve in my opinion.
    After finding our way onto the Fortescue Bay Campsite, we power walked to the Cape for some amazing and terrifying views down the cliffs. The walk to the cape was as always perfectly marked and maintained (a bit too well for my taste - hiker’s autobahn). We met quite a few hikers who were just about to finish their four day four bays hike. A little boy even stopped me to proudly announce that he did the hike and is looking forward to the beautiful beach at the campground. (Jo says: just a tiny little bit jealous. The multiday walk seems to be a great option if you have more time!)
    Back at the campground and after a jump into the ocean we made good use of the barbecue facility and hit the sack after a round of Cuba Libre with a cheers back to our favourite CL companions in Brissy!
    And with that, good night, Tom.

    P.s.: With the last bump on the dirt road back from Cape Hauy the relay decided to end its twitchy state if operation and miraculously slowed down its pace again! To quote a former colleague of mine: Problems that resolve themselves tend to resurface. Let’s wait and see.
    Read more