Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Freycinet National Park

    March 31, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 14 °C

    There would have been so much more to do in this corner of Tasmania but time is ticking for our stay on this beautiful isle! Hence, we decided to do a dayhike only in the Freycinet National Park on the day after arriving in the region. It was already a bit too late in the day to start the hike, advertised as 5h (realistically about 3.5h).
    Finding a good spot to camp was not easy this time. Nothing satisfied our spoiled expectations and in addition I really wanted to beak some bread. The sourdough starter was direly in need of a feed and we craved a slice of good bread. Didn't make the search any easier, but I did ended up making two small loafs of bread (a bit charry but still) and we found an "ok" spot to sleep. You won't believe how many Huntsman can live happily in an old brick barbecue. They did look kind of angry though when I lit a fire under their spider asses. But don't worry, no animals were hurt while beaking the bread!

    During the walk on the next day we had really beautiful weather. Most of the walk was flat but offered the occasional stunning view over the bay. Luckily we are travelling in off season. We didn't meet many people on the trail or on the beaches for that matter which I bet is a very different situation in summer.
    The last part of the hike is a steep incline up to a view point over Wineglas Bay. After climbing 1000, yes you guessed it, steps (stairs again!! Can nobody walk on normal ground anymore?) we could enjoy an awesome view over the bay.
    A short walk downhill led us down to the car and off we were to our next adventure!

    Cheers,
    Tom
    Read more