Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 101

    25h in Ulan-Ude

    June 19, 2019 in Russia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    City time again. After having spent another night with the wonderful Kudlik family (fellow Overlanders, also on their way back to Europe, but started in Sydney) about 50kms South of Ulan-ude at the Selenga river, we drive into Ulan-ude to get some chores done:
    1. Grocery shopping
    2. Hardware store for an additional water filter solution (the possible pesticides and heavy metals drive us a bit mad)
    3. Car service (that Tom largely did himself)
    4. Car wash (you cannot imagine how many insects there were on our windshield)
    5. Laundry
    6. Water
    7. Café with WiFi for TV series and new music

    It was a bit optimistic to think we'll get all of this done in a few hours... But we're super successful nevertheless. We find a water pump, a bjToyota car dealer to get the spare parts, a supermarket to do the shopping, a garage where Tom can do the service and they only did the oil change, the laundry service to get our clothes clean in the meantime and a car wash station. And after all this it's 6.30pm and I have no motivation whatsoever to keep on driving. Hence we make our way up the hill to the monastery (it has a big carpark) and set up camp there. Once again, we picked a spot popular with young couples making out in their cars (the view must be quite stimulating). Families and tourists come up as well and we end up meeting quite a few curious souls. Maybe we inspire some of them to travel, too? I'd love to think so.
    Full of happiness due to our successful day and lovely conversations, we go to bed, leaving the cafe bit to the next day.
    Great choice as this means we have delicious "syrniki"( baked cottage cheese balls), a croissant, coffee and some fresh grapefruit and rosemary tea for breakfast and even manage to squeeze in some sightseeing including Lenin's head and a dancing fountain paired with classical music.
    Ulan-ude will stay a pleasant memory.
    Read more