Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 223

    Goerdzi pass

    October 19, 2019 in Georgia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Well, taking the direct route to Mestia is easy. So why not try and go up further East, via Lentheki and the Goerdzi pass?
    Thankfully friends of ours had done it just a week before and reported good conditions apart from muddy parts and a construction site at the end. The Kudliks and we are intrigued. We don't have our 4WDs for nothing, right?
    And the drive is beautiful! Slowly making our way up past tiny villages, the views are simply spectacular. You got to love autumn colors.
    But then, just a few kms before we reach the top, there is a huge construction site and mud everywhere. It looks like a landslide had come down not long ago. Water is still flowing down the road through 30cm deep mud over a stretch of about 200m uphill. Martin and Tom inspect the road and decide to go for it. After all, there is no turning back now and also plenty of construction workers around to help, right? Excavators are doing their best to flatten down fallen rocks from the landslide. 4WD, low range and diff lock activated Hans works his magic, guided by Tom's capable hand and feet and of course we make it through. Enough excitement for today though. Just after the site, we decide to camp on a grassy spot overlooking two valleys and shadowed by huge mountains. If it wasn't for the noise of the construction site and the prospect of even better camping in the Svaneti region, we could have staid for longer I dare to say.
    Read more