Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    (Almost) stuck in the (narrow) past

    July 30, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Today we really noticed the lack of the air con in our car. After passing Madrid in the early afternoon, the outside temperature rose to 34°C and since it was impossible to drive 120 km/h with open windows, it got really uncomfortably hot. The sun was shining straight into the cockpit and the phone that we used as a navigation system shut down due to overheating just as we arrived in Toledo.
    Not knowing the city at all, we took a wrong turn and ended up in the middle of the historic centre where many streets are narrower than a car and it was an adventure of its own to just get out of this labyrinth without getting stuck between the dangerously narrow walls. In the end we gave up trying to find a way to our hotel by car and left it in a nearby parking garage.
    We made our way to the hotel on foot and after a couple of phone calls and messages, they opened the place remotely and let us into the most breathtaking accommodation we have been in a while. A tastefully restored historic mansion right in the middle of the old town that even had a balcony overlooking the rooftops. We felt like royalty!
    Read more