Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 108

    2020

    January 1, 2020 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    The year is 2020.

    Awaking from deep sleep in the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe, our heroes PICKLES and KT have MONSTROUS HANGOVERS. Their only mission? Survival.

    So far on the trip, we’ve been good at avoiding giant hangovers, just on the basis that they effectively rob you of a day’s travelling (and, when you’re on the road, it isn’t as easy to order a greasy Domino’s and watch Netflix). However, New Year’s feels like a free pass for a hangover, even though it still feels like hell. Especially in a small tent in tropical Africa.

    To ease our hangovers, we walk slightly into the jungle, where a waterfall has created a plunge pool. Here we find another of those almost fictional swimming holes, as if from some idyllic depiction of the rainforest. The water is the perfect temperature for refreshment, and we can feel our hangovers wash away, out into the dense jungle. Good riddance.

    The rest of the day is spent lounging around the lodge, taking in the incredible views (which, predictably, don’t translate to photographs) and enjoying another gourmet meal, before watching the Premier League (this is Africa, after all). When we retire to the tent, the gentle gushing of the river ferries us gently to the land of nod.

    Here’s to another decade of adventures.
    Read more