Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 98

    Okavango Delta Makoros

    December 22, 2019 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    Another day another safari. This time we're guided through the Okavango Delta on makoros- traditional canoes. They're sort of a African gondola, with the guide pushing the boat along using a long pole. They don't sing in a stereo typically Italian manner, though.

    The delta is a huge wetland area home to a huge array of wildlife. As we glide along the still waters, we spot hippos bobbing just above the water, silently gazing at us. At one point, the guides worry that we are getting too close to the huge beasts and steer the boats to a shallower part, where we seem to float on the reeds. It must take a huge amount of strength to push us across it.

    We navigate our way through the small channels of the delta, formed by the hippos pushing through the reeds to make little roads. Arriving at a large island in the delta, we have a spot of brunch, before setting out on a game walk. Since it is wet season, the animals have plenty of hiding spots in and amongst the bushes, so we don't see a lot of game. It is pretty exciting, though, to be walking in the wild African bush, home to cheetahs and lions and all manner of wild beasts. Our guide points out lion tracks in the sand, but by the time Chris (at the back of the line) reaches them, they look more like adidas tracks.

    As we make our way back to the boats, the guides suddenly change direction and decide to take a shortcut, through some bushes. Because the bush can be home to dangerous animals, one of the guides goes in first, and disappears into the foliage, reappearing a few moments later to give the all clear. I really have no idea what an unarmed guide would do if he found a lion.

    We go through into a small clearing, and the ground start shaking. We stop, as the bush starts to sway and a low rumble turns into a thunderous racket. A herd of buffalo is stampeding just metres away, separated by an impenetrable line of trees. It's pretty frightening, especially as we been told before that the buffalo are the most dangerous safari animal. Luckily, they charge off in the other direction and we're able to make our way out of the bush unscathed.
    Read more