Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Bodysurfing on La Praslin

    February 9, 2023 on the Seychelles ⋅ ☁️ 82 °F

    I don’t have any photos of the beach where we swam after lunch on the island of La Praslin, but these photos give an idea of the granite outcroppings that are a hallmark for the Seychelles.

    The waves were strong, so I bodysurfed and had a grand time being tossed around by the sea.

    Rather than swim, Larry chose to relax in the shade. He chatted with some locals and learned a lot about life here.

    For one thing, few people get married in the Seychelles. According to our cultural lecturer on the ship, this is a vestige of their colonial past.

    During the time time when locals were enslaved by the French, they were not allowed to marry, so it never became a custom here.

    Signs here are in French, English, and Creole. The Creole language looks and sounds a lot like French. “That’s why we don’t like speaking French,” our guide told us. “It is too similar to Creole, and the spelling is terrible.”

    We also learned that if you are not a native of the Seychelles, you cannot buy property or open a business unless you have locals for partners.

    I was happy to learn that there are strict laws for conserving nature, and I saw no litter at all, which was refreshing.

    Not only do the people of the Seychelles appreciate the paradise they have, but they also seem to possess a desire to preserve it.
    Read more