Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Rough Seas & Broken Bones

    February 19, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ 🌙 79 °F

    Seas were rough on the way from Durban to Elizabethtown (or Gqerbah, as it seems to be called on the maps!)

    Simply walking around the ship was a challenge as it pitched and rolled, but Larry and I didn’t mind, nor do we get seasick as some folks do.

    For some reason, our dock wasn’t ready when we arrived in Elizabethtown, so they sent us to a different dock.

    Three ambulances met the ship to cart off four injured people. One was a member of the kitchen staff who broke his arm during the rocky transit.

    Two more passengers were injured by the rocky ship, but the fourth had a medical emergency of some other kind.

    Unfortunately, our photo safari was cancelled because the tour buses were at the dock where we were originally supposed to be.

    We opted to stay on the ship today. We’ve heard so many tales of crimes from other passengers in South Africa, that it’s less than inviting to go for a stroll. We might get more of an adventure than we bargained for!

    Instead, we had a relaxing day on the ship, swimming and playing Scrabble. While we play Scrabble, I edit photos and write blog posts.

    The shore excursion folks have shifted us to a different game reserve for tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes.

    p.s. The photo here is a Chantilly swan dessert from last night’s dinner. Yum!
    Read more