Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Roatan Honduras

    April 12, 2023 in Honduras ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    We had a fun day in Roatan’s Mahogany Bay, a tropical paradise just like you see in movies and beer ads.

    Our Romanian pals, Constantin and Maria, joined us for the day. We were greeted by a sweet little songbird as we stepped ashore. It put the Bob Marley song “Three Little Birds” in my head.

    The four of us took a “magical flying beach chair” over to the beach. Yes, the very same one that I had been making fun of when I noticed it from the ship.

    Well guess what? I loved it. Not only was it a nice view, but there was a little breeze up there. We saw sharks, colorful fish, and conchs from our perch.

    Constantin and I enjoyed a wonderful swim while Larry and Maria found some shady beach chairs. Only later did we realize that although the beach was free, people paid $30 for the chairs and $50 for the bungalows. Oops!

    As we wandered around, we saw a beach bungalow offering salon services such as massages, pedicures, and fish therapy: minnows that nibble any dead skin off of your feet!!

    The heat and surroundings called for cerveza, so we wandered into the beach bar.
    Larry ordered some snacks, too. That’s when we discovered that C&M had never had nachos before!

    It was fun explaining what they were and how to eat them. Not only were the nachos a hit, but they even liked the jalapeños.

    The server got such a kick out of learning that they live in Transylvania. “Really? Like where Dracula lives?”

    (He also complimented my Spanish accent, but he probably says that to all the gringos!)
    Read more