Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Transatlantic Sea Days

    January 16, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ 🌙 73 °F

    We’ve spent a week crossing the Atlantic, but there have been so many fun things to do on the ship that time has flown.

    Larry and I enjoy sea days and have no problem entertaining ourselves. We don’t rely on the ship to prevent boredom. That said, Ambassador Cruise Line offers a wide variety of activities for guests.

    In fact, we often have a hard time choosing between all the options. For instance, most cruise lines offer lectures on sea days, but this ship has had as many as three different guest speakers in a single day!

    Like other ships, there’s a live show every night after dinner. We’ve been very happy with the quality of the performers and performances.

    The ship has an accomplished stable of singers and dancers, and the staging and choreography is very creative.

    As you can see, Larry was pulled onstage by Chris Fleming (a well known UK magician.) I even did some accidental magic as you can see: I made Chris shrink in one of the photos I took!

    Ukulele lessons and watercolor workshops are quite popular. (I sent my ukulele home with Larry when he renewed his passport, and I already play a bit so I’m skipping that.) We both wanted to take the watercolor classes, but they filled up right away.

    Luckily, there’s room in the daily choir class. We are having a blast! I’ve had a lot of music training, but Larry’s a complete newbie. It’s so fun to share the joy of rehearsing and learning music theory with him.

    The voice exercises we do in class really help at karaoke. Ambience dedicates Wednesday evenings to karaoke, so everyone who comes gets to sing two or three songs.

    As always, the karaoke enthusiasts are a lighthearted bunch. It’s such a fun way to make friends. (And since this is a British ship, I can sing Kate Bush and people actually know the songs.)

    Ambience also has two women on the ship from an organization dedicated to cetaceans called Orca. When not giving seminars on sea life, they can be found on the deck looking for whales and dolphins.

    We’ve learned a lot from them already. For instance, a quick way to tell a dolphin from a porpoise is if it leaps from the water. Dolphins jump; porpoises don’t.

    All in all, we are having a great time on the Ambience. It’s a cozy little city at sea.
    Read more