Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Colorful Guna Molas

    January 24 in Panama ⋅ ⛅ 84 °F

    The Guna’s economy is based on fishing, agriculture, and a centuries -long tradition of international trade. So far from intruding upon an “isolated tribe,” we were greeted by people who are used to visitors from far off lands.

    In fact, it’s thought that the Guna people’s longstanding practice of trade is a major reason their society has endured in the modern age, unlike some other indigenous groups.

    On the island of Garti, tourism is a mainstay. The women create and sell a colorful local textile called a “mola,” which simply means “clothing “ in their mother tongue. Molas are a blend of appliqué and hand stitching. (Check out my photos to see the variety of mola panels that were for sale.)

    As you can see, mola panels are used in the women’s blouses, as well as on hatbands and other items.

    I don’t buy many souvenirs when we travel, but I’ve come to realize that the the unique textiles found around the world are well worth buying. Not only are they beautiful, but they are tactile reminders of different cultures.

    That’s a long-winded way of saying that I bought some molas during our visit to Garti Island!

    One last tidbit I learned about the Guna is that when they marry, the man takes the woman’s last name and moves into her family’s home.

    They are a fascinating society and I hope to visit them again. Maybe next time, I’ll be able to nab the English speaking guide.
    Read more