Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Peter Pepper’s Spice Garden

    March 24 on the Seychelles ⋅ ⛅ 86 °F

    On Mahe Island in the Seychelles, we visited a historic spice garden. A French guy named Pierre Poivre (aka Peter Pepper) started the original garden back in the 1771.

    The lush gardens offered much-appreciated shade during our visit. As an added bonus, we had gone snorkeling earlier, and had wet suits to help cool us off, as well.

    We enjoyed a guided walk through the hilly garden. Along the way, we saw allspice trees, and a grove of vanilla plants. (The Seychelles only sells vanilla locally and does not export it.)

    By squeezing seeds of the Lipstick Tree, you can dye your lips and fingernails a matching red color.

    I found the nutmeg tree fascinating. The fleshy yellow fruit splits and drops the inner red mace and dark, nearly black, nutmeg to the ground.

    We also saw a few animals, including a Seychelles skink and giant tortoises. I was surprised to learn that while they can’t swim, tortoises enjoy floating around in the water.

    By the way, the red bird you see is called a Madagascar Fody. While the one pictured is in a cage, it was there of its own free will. It was flying in and out to snack on the caged pigeons’ food.

    We ended our visit by enjoying a glass of fresh iced lemongrass. Made from lemongrass grown on site, of course.
    Read more