Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Days 12 & 13 Cruising the Denmark Strait

    August 12, 2019, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Two days at sea here and a change of plans. Today we were supposed to be viewing Prince Christian Sound in Greenland. However bad weather meant that wasn’t possible and nor were either of the planned Greenland ports. So a few phone calls and renegotiations later and we are visiting a different Greenland destination - Tasiilaq on the South East of Greenland (Ammassalik) . However that is tomorrow’s story....

    We have two sea days to report on before then. There are some photos of the ship attached, but before that an indication of what a typical day at sea looks like... Breakfast can be challenging as everyone tends to go at the same time meaning getting a seat in the Terraces cafe can be a mission but we usually manage it and tend not to stay long as breakfast for us is usually just cereal and fruit, rather than the full three course event that some make it. Then it’s off to Horizons bar for various games (golf putting; cornhole - it has various names but it’s a throwing game trying to get a bean bag into a hole - and of course bingo!). Combine that with lots of reading and its soon lunch time.

    Same deal at lunch and it’s usually easier to go to the main dining room as the buffet area again gets packed at peak times between noon and about 1.30.

    Ordinarily it would be pool time after that, but as this is a cold weather cruise it’s more reading and further games in the afternoon before Trivia in the late afternoon. All of these activities are in pursuit of Big O points. You get these for winning or placing in the various competitions and they are traded at the end of the trip for tee shirts/bags and other branded gear depending upon how many you have to spend.

    By then it’s time for happy hour in the late afternoon and whale spotting. We’ve seen quite a few today and hope to encounter more close up on a tour we have later in the trip. The evening is taken up with dinner about 7 - 7.30 followed by late night trivia or a show (although we’re not big on those as they tend to be show tunes or the like which neither of us are keen on).

    Photos attached show Our cabin; Horizons Lounge; Our cabin from the other end!; the Nautica lounge (where all the shows take place); our quiz team (I’ve named them the Undertones which they are a bit non-plussed about) in order the people are Kent and Lynette both former biotech doctors from just north of San Francisco, Donna and Malcolm from Chilliwack in Canada; Glenda and Andy (he’s a former naval dentist) from San Diego; one of the officers on board who looks disturbingly like Boris Johnson
    Read more