Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 96

    Machupicchu

    January 16, 2016 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    It was a 2 day trip from Cusco. On the first morning we had to wake up early to catch the mini van for a 7 hour ride to Hidroelectrica, chosen over the extremely expensive train option. It was a horrendous journey with numerous near-death, squeaky bum moments. Afterwards a 2.5 hours walk by the train tracks in the jungle to get to Machupicchu town called Aguas Calientes. Found our hostel and went to bed as we had to wake up 4:30 the next day.
    The guided tour started at 6:30 so we went up by bus to make sure we didn't miss it. (Also didn't fancy walking up a million steps at 4 o'clock in the morning in the rain.)
    Luckily the rain had stopped by the time we reached the top. The view was fascinating but really foggy at first, that actually made it quite exciting to see the different parts bit by bit as we got close enough to see through the fog. Unfortunately the tour was very dull and felt more like a school trip than an adventure, so we soon ditched the guide and went off exploring on our own.
    The sun came out and the fog cleared in time for us to get the best views and some photos over the whole site before it was time to start the journey back.
    Read more