Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Ubud Part 1

    October 9, 2019 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    We finally arrived to Bali, a place which we dreamed of visiting for a long time, and headed straight for Ubud, an inland town famous for yoga retreats, rice terraces and arty types.
    On the drive from the airport we saw dozens of shops selling big statues along the road and we couldn't imagine who buys them all.
    Once we arrived in Ubud we discovered that there are statues everywhere, Buddhas, monsters, naked people, lions, and lots more. They are often positioned guarding the elaborate gates which can be equally as grand for a small hotel as a palace or temple.
    Our hotel has a small but beautiful pool which we had mostly to ourselves and was so good for lounging around and relaxing.
    Vera got a weekly pass for a yoga school which has amazing views over the jungle and lots of classes every day which meant she could plan her own DIY yoga retreat.
    We really enjoyed slowing down to a nice lazy pace, wandering around town and all the arty shops, and eating delicious things in the 'warung' restaurants.
    We did manage to be a bit more active one afternoon and did a walk along the Campuhan Ridge which passes the Pura Gunung Lebah temple, built where two rivers meet. At the end of the walk we arrived at a beautiful area of rice terraces and had a coconut water from the coconut with a bamboo straw.
    Read more