Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 14

    A Local Secret, Patonga Beach

    1 Mac 2019, Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Another moving day today but downhill all the way from the Blue Mountains to a hidden gem in the northern beaches of Sydney.

    DRIVE: Katoomba to Patonga (174km)
    We managed to hit 13.6 lites per 100km, our lowest fuel usage to date (won’t last) as we coasted down from the Blue Mountains applying soft breaks occasionally to slow “The Lem” down. That is of course until we hit the outskirts of Sydney. It was absolute madness trying to get through the western suburbs to head north up the coast and it took about an hour to go 20 kilometres.

    We made it though to Patonga Beach, another treasure of the east coast and a secret spot for locals to enjoy camping with the family. Patonga Beach is right at the mouth of the Hawkesbury River and in the middle of the Brisbane Waters National Park. Why does Sydney have a NP called Brisbane?

    CAMPSITE: Patonga Camping Ground / site 33
    Patonga Camping Ground has beach on one side and tidal creek on the other - perfect for kayaking. Site 33 is shaded by a lovely tall gum tree and 10m away from launching the kayaks. Being the last weekend of summer (technically, the first of autumn actually), the camp is full. There are kids everywhere - lots of shouting, laughing and bike stacks; just what summer camping should be all about.

    The tide was flowing into the creek in the afternoon so we took the kayaks out and rode the waves at the entrance into the open sea. This was fun as we managed to take on board enough sea water to sink the Titanic and although still technically afloat, we were pretty much sitting in a pool of water with our kayaks barely above sea level. After bailing some ballast, we turned inland and drifting down the creek with the current.

    Patonga is mostly beach shacks and holiday homes and some of the properties are on the other side of the creek so locals need a tinny to get to them. It does have a fantastic bar/restaurant called The Boat House which is vibrant and busy all day long. We sat there late afternoon with a wine/beer & some beer battered chips for a very leisurely end to the day.

    WILDLIFE:
    Bush turkey, pelicans
    Baca lagi