Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Soldiers Point, Port Stephens

    March 5, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    For some reason, the campervan seems a bit heavier this morning as we leave the Hunter Valley to head back to the coast. That’s right, it’s all that wine we bought, weighing us down...

    DRIVE: Hunter Valley to Port Stephens 95km
    A short drive today to Port Stephens which has a well established coastal residence but is also a popular destination for holiday makers and travellers.

    The port was named by Captain Cook when he passed on 11 May 1770, honouring Sir Philip Stephens, who was Secretary to the Admiralty.

    CAMP: Big 4 Ingenia Holiday Park, Soldiers Point site 2 / en-suite / 4 nights.
    We have the Luxury of an en-suite powered site at Ingenia Holiday Park. Surrounded by palms, the site is very cozy and private and as it’s mid week, there’s not many folk around but the occasional RAF fighter Jet from Newcastle, thundering through the skies above.

    Now Soldiers Point was originally the site of a garrison of soldiers that was established in 1820 to hunt down escaped convicts. POME Steve as I go by... which stands for “Prisoner Of Mother England”.

    We set off in the afternoon to explore the peninsula and followed a scenic route hugging the shore line down to Nelson’s Bay, the starting point for whale watching, dolphin cruises, boating and fishing.

    We continued on past Shoal Bay and the imposing Tomaree Mountain jutting out of the sea and onto Fingal Bay at the edge of the Tomaree National Park.
    The coastal panoramic is quite stunning with long stretches of golden sand and turquoise waters highlighted by a number of peaks, small islands and rock formations. On the way back, we stopped for a Goanna crossing the road.

    Port Stephens has an abundance of mature gum trees extending from the NP and there are signs everywhere to watch out for Koalas. Haven’t seen any yet but will post as soon as we do.

    WILDLIFE
    Goanna crossing the road
    Read more