Спутник
Показать на карте
  • День 74

    Take a Walk Around Port

    30 апреля 2019 г., Австралия ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    At the northern end of 4 mile beach, closest to town is a walking track around the headland of Port Douglas. The walking track starts with steep steps to a lookout point with magnificent views of 4 mile beach and beyond. A viewing platform juts our over the precipes hanging in mid air. On a clear day you can see The Low Isles in the distance and the lighthouse.

    The walking track was opened in March 2018 and I had walked it back then but soon after, a big tropical storm washed away sections and caused landslides. The track recently reopened at Easter and it a great leisurely stroll from the beach to Harbourside or visa versa.

    From the Harbourside end, there is a grassy point surrounded by tall coconut palm trees, our favourite place to watch sunset looking towards Mossman with a glass of wine and some tasty cheese.

    Immaculately restored on its original location, The Court House Museum documents the fascinating history of Port Douglas. We meet Norman, a senior volunteer who shares his history and knowledge about Port.

    On Sundays, across the road from The Court House Hotel, the area is host to a local market offering arts & crafts, jewellery, exotic fruits, local produce and food stalls. Jaime loves the fresh coconut stall and of course, I love the local rainforest coffee stall.

    At Wharf Street, St Mary’s By The Sea Church built from 1913-1914 and the Port Douglas Sugar Wharf built in 1905. stand as prominent reminders of Port’s history. St Mary's is a heritage-listed non-denominational church (formerly a Roman Catholic Church) . Both venues are popular places for weddings.

    Macrossan Street itself is the hub of the town and has an eclectic and lively mix of boutique shops, bars, cafes and restaurants. It’s where the locals and tourists mingle and its heritage buildings (mainly the pubs) are well preserved. The Central Hotel is most popular with the locals and a hub of activity when the footie is on the big screen.

    The village has a laid back, unassuming but sophisticated vibe that doesn’t feel overly touristy and the local culture and way of life up here are preserved and indeed the main attraction. It’s an escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

    Jen & Jaime’s favourite place is Capanina Ice Cream bar and Gelateria. Made the traditional Italian way, It’s simply the best ice cream in town and they change flavours regularly. Heaven forbid if they don’t put chocolate on the menu.

    We walk up to the Marina where the yachts and huge catermarans are moored and the starting point for access to The Great Barrier Reef. Quicksilver have been running tours from Port Douglas since the 1980’s and have recently built a Dive School and Dive Pool up here. Stretching over 2,300km the Great Barrier Reef is remarkable for its beauty. Agincourt Reef is on the very outer edge of the reef. Here, special reefs known as ‘ribbons’ run parallel to the Continental Shelf and are recognised as the most pristine eco-systems in the reef’s environment.

    In between dive tours or just to chill, a great place to have a beer is Hemingway’s Brewery on the Mariner and if you fancy lounging with a cocktail, it’s Barbados, another of Jen and Jaime’s hideouts.

    The Marina has been purchased by Ghassan Aboud, an Arab investor and its new title is The Crystalbrook Super Yacht Marina. The plans have just been released for the development which involves a $200 million investment in a 6 Star resort and Hotel including an extension of the Mariner to entertain large Super Yachts.

    The locals seem ok with the development as it will create jobs. The old Marina will be demolished and the new one is due for completion in 2022 and bring a renewal to Port Douglas whilst preserving its heritage feel.

    As we return up Mowbray Street to Cayman Villas, we pass Chillies Bar & Restaurant. It’s our favourite place to eat and the wood fired pizza is the best in town. Chillies is laid back with an outdoor bar, fairy lights and oil lamps creating ambience and chill out reggae music playing for mood. Close your eyes and you could be in the Caribbean.
    Читать далее