Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    Ellen Thomson - Hung for MURDER?

    May 2, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    It is eight o’clock on the morning of the 13th of June 1887...

    A slight grey haired woman stands on the gallows in Brisbane Jail, crucifix clasped in her hand. When the gruesome public execution was done, Ellen Thomson had earned an unenviable niche in criminal legal history - the only woman ever hanged in Queensland.

    Ellen Thomson, alongside her alleged partner in crime, John Harrison had been found guilty of killing Ellen’s husband, William Thomson... but it’s not a clear cut case!

    To explore the case further, we get on our bikes and pop to the The Court House Museum in Port Douglas and pay our $2.00 donation. Norman, an old, slim but spritely gentleman greets us and shows us around The Court House explaining in detail the story behind the case and the controversy that surrounds it. We found ourselves seated in the jury (not sure why we are smiling), as we make a verdict on the case. We find the accused ___ your honour.

    In 1878, Ellen came to Port Douglas and obtained work as a housekeeper to William (Billy) Thomson. Not long after, Ellen gave birth to a daughter, Helen (Nell) whom Billy believed to be be his child.

    On 3rd November 1880, Ellen then 36 years of age married William, 57.

    Short tempered, Billy was a cantankerous old man and tough on his family. He harboured a special resentment of the Chinese tenant farmers feuding over use of his land.

    In October 1886, John Harrison, deserter from the ship “Myrmidon” moved into an adjoining farming property and soon became the focus of Billy’s anger and suspicions. One evening on Thomson’s verandah, tempers flare and Billy declares “if you don’t get off my property I will shoot you”. Ellen, alarmed cries out “Jack (John), look out, Billy has got a revolver and he might use it...”

    Now early in the evening of 22nd October 1886, Harrison left his Hut to find work at the Seven Mile. By 9.00pm, he returned saying it came over too dark to walk. He throws down his swag and sleeps on the floor.

    Ten o’clock, Ellen is wakened by a shot and the sounds of a fall from the outhouse where Billy slept. She runs for help to the nearest white Man, Marshall and returns with Marshall and Harrison. Ellen did not enter the outhouse herself and kept distance but Marshall and Harrison enter to find Billy barely alive, a revolver beside his body. Without proper medical aid, they watch and wait and Billy dies without a word.

    At first light, Harrison rides to Port Douglas police station and to Billy’s brother saying that Billy had accidentally shot himself or likely committed suicide.

    On examination of the body, Dr Marley pronounced, “I found two bullet wounds, one through each temple in a straight line. I should undoubtedly say that one bullet inflicted the two wounds”. As cause of death was pronounced as suicide, William Thomson was interred at Port Douglas cemetery on 24th October 1886.

    Harrison stays on, engaged by Ellen to work on the farm but around the small community, stories are whispered, rumours are rife...

    On 6th January 1887, the police take action and apprehend Ellen Thomson and John Harrison and bring them before the court in Port Douglas. The warrant “they did feloniously, wilfully and of malice aforethought kill and murder one William Thomson”.

    Witnesses come forward from the Chinese community, their testimonies convincing but inconsistent and dubious.

    Ah Loy, a Chinese gardener went up to Thomson’s to get a drink of water in the kitchen on the day of his shooting. He declares on oath by the blowing out of a candle that he saw the accused, Ellen and John dancing together in the dining room. Shortly after at 4.30pm, the Chinese witness further stated that he saw and passed Mr Thomson on the road home and that he was of sober mind. Ellen protested saying that the chinese witness had fabricated the story for a 100 pound fee.

    Ah Chune, a Chinese cook and fisherman declares that he also saw Mr Thomson at 4 or 5 in the afternoon and at 8.00 o’clock that night (not 10 o’clock as Ellen had stated), he heard not one but TWO gun shots about 4-5 minutes apart...

    Marshall is called to be questioned and states that the prisoner, Ellen made no attempt to go to her husband after the shooting and she was perfectly cool and non-emotional.

    Ah Loy is recalled and questioned. He adds to his story and says, “on the day I called at Thomson’s, it was past one or two. I saw Mrs Thomson and the male prisoner, they were in the bedroom in bed together”.

    The weight of evidence even though suspect and conflicting provides TWO gun shots and a strong motive for murder. This convinces the Magistrate to order the body of William Thomson to be exhumed.

    A post mortem was conducted. On further examination of the skull which had been shattered on top with a bullet hole in the left temple and another in a bone on the right side, the examiner believed that one bullet came out of the right side. The examiner further groped around in the skull and duly found a second bullet....!

    “I shall be of the opinion that a second shot was fired in the same hole as the first. A person having inflicted one wound in his head (suicide) would not be able to inflict another”.

    The Magistrate announces “The prisoners are committed to take their trial in the Supreme Court, Townsville on 27th April 1887”.

    Mr Justice Pope Cooper considered the Chinese reliable witnesses. Further, he states that Mrs Thomson and Harrison lived on improper terms and it was shown that she was to profit by, and not until, Thomson’s death.

    The Judge charges the jury “However painful your duty, you must find the prisoners GUILTY”.

    After two and one half hours, the jury returned a guilty verdict and Ellen, now found guilty of murder breaks down into an impassioned, enunciated harangue for nearly an hour.

    Ellen vehemently denies any Involvement in the death of her husband but her fate was sealed.

    The accused murderers were sentenced to death by hanging and moved to H.M. Gail Brisbane.

    On 13th June 1887, hours before the executions, John Harrison confessed to his priest that during a quarrel and struggle with Billy Thomson, Billy turned the gun on himself. Ellen had no part in the killing. When urged to delay the hangings, the Under Sheriff replies “no it’s too late, the executions must move forward”. John was hung 20 minutes after Ellen.

    EPILOGUE

    As the hands of the clock crept nearer to the fatal hour, Ellen Thomson crosses the yard with the Rev. Father Fouhy, their voices heard in solemn earnest prayer. In a neat black dress, hair combed back from her face, crucifix clapped to her breast, her comely appearance excited sympathy in the gathering.

    At his post, calm and steady, stood the grim hangman.

    And then the great bell tolled forth.

    Ellen Thomson was conducted to the scaffold from which hung the ominous rope. As the fatal white cap was placed upon her head she repeated prayers read by Fr. Fouhy. In accent calm and wonderful clear, she spoke for the last time...

    “May heaven bless my children. I never shot my husband. I never harmed anybody. I am innocent. I will die like an injured angel”.

    The massive trapdoor groaned... and... DROPPED!

    Was Ellen Thomson, wife to William Thomson and close acquaintance to John Harrison guilty as tried or innocent of the murder of her husband?

    Who done it, you decide...
    Read more