Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Start of Kimberleys 4WD Adventure

    May 17, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    After 5 luxurious days back home in Melbourne, we flew back into Darwin for the start of our Kimberleys 4 Wheel Drive Adventure.

    The flight landing was slightly delayed coming into Darwin as those American fighter jets have been hogging the runway and the airspace. I’ve seen Topgun and I was sure they got Friday’s off. I think Maverick keeps doing a go around...

    Feet firmly in Northern Territory again, we collect the Kluger from airport parking and drive a short distance to our pick up location for the 4WD.

    We have hired from a company called Australian 4WD Adventures. They pretty much have hire locations all around Australia and specialise in off road vehicles and camping equipment which can manage the rugged terrain of the outback and beyond.

    Our vehicle is a Toyota Prado Bush Camper Large with a Roof Top Tent and we have it for 34 days. Jenny specifically requested a roof top tent as she believes crocodiles can’t climb ladders so it’s our safest bet for surviving a night’s sleep.

    The Lloyde’s, Andrew and Anne who have been travelling up from Melbourne for our rendezvous have a specked our Toyota Prado including a motorised winch so we will be in good company if we get bogged. They have passed through Katherine and are now at a place called Timber Creek feeding crocodiles so we are not too far behind and catching up quickly.

    Our 4WD comes with a 12v fridge/freezer, camping table and chairs, gas stove, fuel and water containers. The vehicle itself runs on diesel and has a long range tank capable of 100km on one tank. Not looking forward to refilling the beast. I estimate we will be doing 5,000km+ on this trip from Darwin to Broome following the Gibb River Road so I will be siphoning fuel at any opportunity...! Pitty Andrew’s is on petrol...

    In addition to the equipment supplied, we have packed all our essential camping gear from our campervan; pots and pans, cutlery, torches, 12v fan, bedding, general supplies, clothing and food.

    As the 4WD has a roof top tent with a double mattress, we have gone to the effort of making sure it’s a comfortable as possible. So after reading the Australian 4WD blog, I came across an idea to use a memory foam mattress topper for a comfy nights sleep. I am lay on it as I type this footprint and it really makes a difference. We also ditched the sleeping bags for this trip and have a doona, pillows and sheets instead. I know, we have glampped it up a bit (is that even a word) but it will be worth the while for a good night’s sleep.

    It’s very humid in Darwin tonight so the little 12v fan is doing its best to cool us off a bit.

    CAMP: Discovery Caravan Park Darwin / 1 Night.
    We are back at Discovery Caravan Park Darwin for one night so that we can test setting up all the equipment before venturing too far. It’s been our first set up of the roof top tent and its super quick and easy. Jen has been nominated as roof top tent technician and I a in charge of packing and camp set up.

    So up the ladder we go to our retreat in the sky. Shut that fly net Jen barks, the mozzies are knocking at the door waiting to get in.
    Read more