Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    The First Telegraph From Alice

    July 4, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    In 1990, computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web we depend on today. Before then, back in 1876 Alexander Graham Bell was controversially credited with inventing the first practical telephone and indeed, he made the first call.

    Further back, when Samuel Morse invented Morse Code in 1838, he created a revolution in communication and the electric telegraph was born. So why is this important?

    Well before we get to that, as I type on my mobile keyboard, tap, tap, tap, I realise that modern communication has largely gone from Morse Code, tap, tap, tap to, amazing, we can actually speak to someone on the other end of a line, then we went back to tap, tap, tap and our use of txting. Have we really made any progress since the telegraph. After all, I could equally order a pizza with a telegraph as i could with a txt... It was the global internet of the early 19th century.

    So this info is important because we are in Alice Springs and at the Alice Springs Telegraph Station, historically the most central communication hub between Adelaide and Darwin and indeed the whole of Australia. The station here is one of four remaining Telegraph Stations, another of which we had visited in Barrow Creek on the way to Alice. Alice Springs connected Adelaide to Darwin and the rest of the world.

    Australia’s first telegraph line was erected in 1854 between Melbourne and Port Melbourne. In 1862 John McDouall Stuart successfully crossed the continent and pathed the way for a telegraph line. Australia’s isolation from the rest of the world ended in 1871 when a cable was laid across the Indian Ocean to the North Coast and this created the urgency to connect Adelaide to Darwin via a single 3000km Overland Telegraph Line (OT line).

    Charles Todd, South Australian superintendent of telegraphs masterminded the work to be done in three sections, North, South and Central. Given such remote and harsh country to navigate, the OT line was miraculously completed for the start of 1872, pioneering the way to a. new frontier.

    The first telegraph from Alice Springs to Adelaide was sent on 3rd January 1872. It carried the somber news that CW Craegan had died from thirst 100km down the line in the December heat. He had been travelling to Alice Springs to take up the position of Stationmaster.

    Originally the township of Stuart, Alice is named after the wife of the now (Sir) Charles Todd and the telegraph station is located by a waterhole, hence, Alice Springs.

    So as we explore the history in the telegraph station, I decide to test my theory and order a pizza using morse code. Here it is.

    P. I. Z. Z. A
    . —- —- . . —- —- .. —- —- .. . —-

    ok so it took me a while and i haven’t even added my delivery address yet. Give up, We grab a coffee instead at the Telegraph Cafe and I “tap” my credit card just the once.

    Now Alice Springs has lots of things to do and explore but as we are in slow down mode, we just choose a couple, The art gallery and Alice Springs Aviation Museum are across the road so we go visit them. However, I am excited as this afternoon, The Ghan train is coming into town from Adelaide. I enthusiastically grab Jen and we make our way to the train station an hour before arrival... ok, maybe a bit too enthusiastic, and we wait for the Ghan to arrive.

    The Ghan Railway was originally called the Afghan Express after the 19th century Afgan camel riders who helped explore outback Australia.

    Its long, very long and slowly sweeps around the corner on the train track into the station. If i were at the back of the train, i’d be ordering an Uber to get me up to the station platform... it’s that long. The Ghan is going north to Darwin, to the warmth we have left behind and Jen looks tempted to board as Alice is a bit cold for her. I then commence to tie her to the train tracks!
    Read more