Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Karlu Karlu - Devil's Marbles

    August 31, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Hoping for a little relief from the heat we headed west to 3 Ways Roadhouse and then south towards Alice Springs. We passed through Tenant Creek which doesn't seem to have changed much since we last visited in 2004.
    The road south of Tenant Creek is not one we have ever been on before so it interesting to see the changing views. It is painfully obvious some of the places around here have not seen rain for a very long time. As we headed south we saw the diversion road to The Devil's Marbles so we left the highway and drove into a spectacular landscape. We were both of the impression that this was an interesting but smallish area of boulders. We were very wrong. The granite boulders here are everywhere and most impressive. It was still very hot when we arrived so we only took on the shortest of walks from the campground. We also headed up to the lookout for the sunset (as everyone does). The longer walks could wait until the morning. The campground here is very limited so we were glad we had arrived a bit earlier. It filled up later in the day.
    Next morning we took some of the longer walks around the boulders. It is just an amazing place and is hard to describe. You really have to experience it first hand.
    Read more