Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Lake Hart

    September 11, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Continuing south from Coober Pedy we stayed on the Stuart Highway. It is hard to describe some of these areas or to capture them in a photo. In some places it seemed as if you could see from horizon to horizon and not a tree to be seen. This passes through a lot of the Woomera Missile Testing Area and there are Defence Department signs up along the way about leaving the highway. There were a lot of communication towers and posts around and a couple of mysterious looking weather station type structures. I'm sure they are tracking UFOs.
    We arrived early afternoon at Lake Hart Rest Area which continued the theme of dirt (and wind) camps. Lake Hart is one of the smaller salt lakes in this area. To look at it from any distance you could swear it was full of water, but when you get close you realise it is salt. We walked out a fair distance and scratched our name in the surface like everyone else. It doesn't take much scratching to get down to a sticky brown/black mud. I would hate to get caught in it.
    Between the camp area and the lake was the Ghan Railway line. We hoped for a glimpse but only got a couple of goods trains.
    Read more