Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Blyth

    September 19, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Leaving Orroroo we headed further south and almost immediately noticed a change in the landscape. GREEN! It's a pity it didn't come with a change in weather. COLD and WINDY! It was however a pleasant change from the last 6 weeks of red dirt. We are not complaining about the dirt as we knew what to expect and it has been fabulous camping out in some of those spots, but it does get a bit wearing.
    A sign on the side of the road alerted me to a thing called Goyder's Line so I did some research and sure enough, there is an identifiable line where the country changes from grazing north of the line to cropping in the south. George Goyder identified the line in 1865 and it still holds true.
    As we drove further south through Jamestown and Spalding it gradually became more lush. Most of the countryside is under cultivation. It made me wonder how long it took and how much effort was required to clear so much land.
    It was hard to identify a lot of the crops but the canola really stood out. The acres and acres of bright yellow pasture was striking. Most of the other crops, which we think were mainly peas, were a low growing deep green. The other main difference was the number of sheep. They were all in really lush paddocks.
    We camped at Blyth Sportsground which is about 10 minutes west of Clare. This is a sports facility with lots of spare room so they welcome self contained vans and motorhomes. In the 2 days we were here there was only one other van for one night.
    Read more