Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Port Arthur

    October 27, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Leaving Triabunna and Google Maps was giving us 3 options. The first one we came to had a "Very Steep Hill" sign at the start and it was a gravel road so we took the opportunity to turn around in a quarry road entrance. The second route took us along the coast and through the tiny scenic town of Spring Beach, until we hit the sign "Road Closed - Bridge Washed Away" with next to nowhere to turn the van around. A fun 30 minutes later we were headed back along the Prosser River road we came in on a few days earlier. I've never done a 17 point turn before. Other than that our trip down to Port Arthur was uneventful. Checked in to the NRMA Port Arthur Holiday Park which is how all caravan parks should be. Large drive-through sites that are angled so you are not living in someone else's annex. Had planned on only staying two nights but saw a "Pay for 3 Stay for 4" deal on their website after check-in and they happily changed our booking to this deal.
    We still had a couple of hours so we headed down to the Port Arthur Historic Site for a revisit. They have really done some work on the whole site with better viewing platforms and signage. The ticket gives entry for two days so it was decided to come back again the next day.
    Checking the weather forecast for the next few days it was obvious if we wanted to do the fast boat cruise it would have to be tomorrow. After office hours so we jumped on their website and managed to score two tickets for the next day.
    Read more