Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Strahan - Gordon River Cruise

    November 19, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    After suffering through a dismal Queenstown day yesterday we were glad to see a little sunshine for our cruise day. The Gordon River wilderness cruise with World Heritage Cruises. The cruise departed Strahan at 9:00am so an early start from Queenstown for another winding drive through the mist.
    We did this same cruise 15 years ago but the boat we had then has now been replaced by the Harbour Master II, a purpose built $9m catamaran. Once on the water we could explore the boat and we were even welcome onto the bridge to sit and chat with the captain.
    Again it was obvious the lack of tourists here. The boat could not have had any more than 40 people on board with a capacity of probably 250. Just a few minutes into the cruise we were accompanied by some dolphins having a play in the bow wave.
    The weather was kind if not sunny and the water was calm. So calm that we were lucky enough to be able to cruise out through Hells Gates and into the Southern Ocean. We cruised as far as the Cape Sorrell Lighthouse which apparently is unusual to be able to reach on these cruises.
    Back through Hells Gates into Macquarie Harbour we had a tour of the salmon and trout farms in the area. Many many more that were here 15 years ago. The mixture of the huge amount of fresh water and sea water creates a brackish mix that the fish thrive on.
    Next to the old convict settlement at Sarah Island. The guided tour was quite enjoyable apart from one fellow passenger. Anyone who has travelled has come across one of these people. Must be first in the line, first off the boat, right in the face of the guide and just generally rude and obnoxious. Faye was sure he was stalking her.
    Back on the boat for a lovely lunch although no drink was offered as part of the lunch at all. You could buy from the bar.
    Next on to a rainforest walk at Heritage Landing, about 10km up the Gordon River. A film showing the history of the river, the piners and the environmental protests of the 70s was a great way to pass the time. We cruised past a fisherman in a small boat that enjoyed showing off his brown trout catch. It must have been close to 1m. Sorry I didn't get a picture. Enjoyed the short walk through the rainforest, back on the boat for the trip back to Strahan. A fantastic cruise.
    A quick walk around the town and a drive out to Ocean Beach before we headed back to Queenstown.
    Read more