Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 83

    Pai and attempting to reach Nirvana

    May 17, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    "Go to Pai, it's really cool", "have you been to Pai? it's awesome", "Man you should check out Pai", "Dude you gotta head out to Pai, it's great". Numerous sentences to that effect flowed from quite a few people I'd met, so Pai, as well as sounding delicious, seemed a popular place, so I decided it was worth a look. Worth a look it was, although getting there was a bit mad - to say the road had a few twists and turns would be the understatement of the year. It's literally just 180 u-bend after u-bend for about three hours 🤢. It was like being on a roller-coaster that didn't go upside down.

    There's really nothing much to do in this hippy town, just a lot of good vibes and a chilled atmosphere with beautiful surroundings. I rented a moped and visited a couple of waterfalls but I've been spoiled by the one in Laos so they wern't quite as stunning - still pleasant though. Pai does have a large canyon which is pretty cool and randomly there's also a land split (basically a big hole that cuts the land in half). It just appeared one day so it's become a place of interest - anything for a tourist attraction. The other thing Pai had is a couple of hot springs, you could visit. I went to one and the water looks freezing but when you step in it's pretty warm which is unusual for a what is effectively a small brook.

    I took the roller-coaster journey back to Chiang Mai. It decided to rain heavily on the way so the road was even more precarious. It continued to rain hard in Chiang Mai for 24 solid hours - I ended up playing quite a few games of cards that day! ♠♥♣♦

    Whilst I was in Chiang Mai I decided I'd try something a little different to the typical backpacker activity. I embarked on a taster Buddhist meditation retreat for two days. Basically it was an introduction to Buddhism and meditation run by Thai monks. It consisted of learning a little about Buddhism in Thailand and around the world and practising different meditation techniques. It was also a silent retreat so you weren't allowed to speak while you were there (except when you were chanting). It was strange being silent for that length of time and this was just a taster, the full retreats are for a minimum of ten days! They are supposed to be really good for you though so maybe I can progress to it one day. Shhhhhhhh. 🤐

    Anyway, despite the constant rain, it was really good. Buddhism is a fascinating and admirable philosophy (it's not a religion either, so whatever you do/dont believe, you can still practice). Like myself, most people in the group hadn't really done much meditation so we all learned it together. It's a simple concept but it is quite hard to keep focus. We did sitting meditation initially for ten minutes, by the end I could just about do a half hour although I still can't sit in the full lotus position, I'm not flexible enough, so it was more the school assembly crossed legs look for me!

    We also did walking meditation which is as ridiculous as it sounds, but surprisingly calming - you have to walk stupidly slowly and concentrate on your placing. It focuses your mind on just one thing - you definitely look like an idiot but there's something to it. Finally we did lay down meditation, it's quite difficult as you find yourself falling asleep which isn't the objective.

    The retreat was held in purpose-built centre, with simple meals and accommodation. It was run by a young guy who for a monk was very cool. He was calm (naturally) but also really engaging to listen to. On the second day we had an hour's break where we were allowed to ask him questions.

    When we finished the retreat it was slightly odd to start chatting again. Getting back to the hostel I was greeted with a wall of sound which was a bit much initially but got used to it again pretty quick. I'll definitely try and incorporate some of the meditation in day to day life though as I feel it could have some benefits. Might struggle to reach enlightenment mind! We spend a lot of time taking care of our bodies but not our mind. As the monk said "meditation is the medication of the mind"... food for thought!
    Ohm☮☯
    Read more