Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    Days Fly By

    July 1, 2018 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We've been having a great time with Sophie, Jacob and Augie during their visit. The night before last we went out to dinner at Buurtboerderij. A farm to table restaurant that doubles as a social service support for people who may be struggling with one thing or another in their lives. I struck up a conversation with Peter, a guy about my age, who serves as a counselor and all around supporter for the place. He explained that there are about 75 volunteers who keep the place going. Not sure about the funding, but I'm pretty sure the city supports the project in one way or another. I'll ask next time.

    The setting is on a working farm within city limits. It is green and lovely. Garden seating is scattered around the place. The food was really good. Nancy and I have both been struck by the relatively small numbers of 'homeless' people struggling on the streets. This despite a demographic of leniency similar to Santa Cruz. These programs must be working. Social fabric is quite different as well. Seems much less 'dog eat dog' than in the States.

    Last night we arrived home to a lovely dinner provided by Sophie and Jacob. Basically personal sized bruschetta with some delicious toppings.

    Today Sophie and Nancy headed over to Quaker Meeting. They met a couple from Rotterdam who've offered to show us around later this summer. This afternoon we took the ferry north to the Ij-hallen flea market. It touts itself as the biggest such market in Europe. What a scene! We all wandered for hours and hours before hoofing it back to Tuinstraat and our summer home. The photo shows Nancy and Sophie at the end of the day.

    The final photo is of my find at the market. I'd been looking for a small garden gnome with just the right personality to put out with our bienvenido welcome mat when we stop at campgrounds in the camper. I found it!
    Read more