Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 73

    Zandvort Dune Ride From Hell

    July 18, 2018 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Nancy, Don, and I woke early and caught the 9:26 train to the seaside town of Zandvoort. We brought our bicycles along on the train with the intention of riding a 43km trail from Zandvoort to Den Haag or 'the Hague'. The trip started out well enough, though we were met with a pretty steady headwind the whole way. The trail wound through some beautiful coastal dunes, most of which are off limits and being restored to a healthy natural stasis.

    Along the way we rode through the small town of Noordwijk. As we rode we passed a car with Obama and Clinton bumper stickers so I stopped to take a photo. The owner happened to be standing next to the car having his photo taken by a professional photographer. He explained that he was running for reelection as a city counselor. Pretty cool. He also said that some 'bad person had put a Trump sticker on top of his Clinton sticker' which he found very upsetting. Got my vote!

    A bit further on we passed a campground filled with pretty nice little rigs. Later we stopped for a picnic lunch before completing the 2nd half of the ride.

    In den Haag we visited the ICC or International Criminal Court. We all passed through security before taking in the very informative Visitor's Center. I took a photo of the poster depicting the cell that may someday hold Henry Kissinger if there's any justice in this world. Of course the US would have to sign on to be a part of the ICC in the first place!

    Before catching the train back to Amsterdam we stopped for a beer in a nice parkside café and a burger at a place called Ich Bin Ein Hamburger. Great burger and great atmosphere, though a bit spendy.

    All for now. Tomorrow Don and I are off to Paris where we plan to take in the Orsay and eat good food. Don will catch a plane home and I'll Ouibus it back to Amsterdam the day after.

    Adieu.
    Read more