Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    27 hours later...

    October 11, 2018 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    A little bleary, worse for wear and tear we arrive in Ho Chi Minh City.

    Nancy drove us to SFO for our flights to Saigon. Augie and I had different itineraries as he'd made his reservation in mid-summer and he'd found mine just a matter of days ago. So. We texted one another from layovers in different Chinese airports as we made our way to the other side of the world. As usual the Priority Pass lounges were the best! Augie was even able to shower. The food in Beijing's lounge was special. (I promise to not take too many food photos) Beijing also had a replica hutong neighborhood right in the center of the main terminal. I guess they're feeling nostalgic now that they've pretty much razed them to build high rises. See photo...

    As I taxied along the runway on arrival in Ho Chi Minh City I was feeling a bit sick to my stomach. The images and footage of the last days before the fall of Saigon with people clamoring to get aboard the last flights out were running in my head. We ought to have played those tapes for the Iraqis and Afghans before they signed up to help us out. I was also thinking a lot about Dad and his brother and their trip here in '69 to treat civilians. Not to mention cousins Doug and Dennis and their considerable deployments here. Mind blowing that this is now half a century ago.

    Anyway, I arrived at our hotel at around 2am and Augie followed at 3:30. The view from the window leaves little doubt that we're in Southeast Asia. The Starbucks in the lobby was a nice touch this morning. Things have changed.

    This afternoon we're off to get a couple of sim cards before checking into the Airbnb.
    Tomorrow we pick up the motorbikes.
    Read more