Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Cathedral Valley, Bolinas, and Home

    June 20, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We woke in Cathedral Valley on a timeline for the first time in awhile. Sophie's 30th birthday was only two days away and we had some 1400 kilometers to cover. First we had to make it though some pretty deep sandy roads to get back on pavement. (Way to go Don). We floated through one long desolate valley after another on our way west. We went to the drive thru at the McDonald's in Ely Nevada for dinner. We camped somewhere off of highway 50 (the loneliest road in America). We crossed the Sierra Nevada around midday. By late afternoon we made it to Bolinas.

    Sophie lives with her partner Jacob at the Commonweal Conference grounds gardens. It is located within the south boundary of Point Reyes National Seashore. Since Covid started access to the Seashore and the garden is through a locked gate. We felt pretty special camping on a lower meadow in such a place.

    We spent Sophie's 30th birthday in a clearing at the gardens with a few of her friends and colleagues. It was special. We all wished Augie could have been with us, but he was at his work in South Lake Tahoe. Next morning we had coffee for Father's Day and headed home to Santa Cruz.

    I made a video composed of images from Sophie's birthdays over the years.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ixTnLqBi6uB7KK918
    Read more