Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    Yippee, Visitors !

    April 29, 2020 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    In this new life of isolation it is becoming hard to remember what it was like in the olden days when we used to have visitors. The door bell would ring, the dog would bark (actually the dog usually barked first) and then we welcomed them into our home. Those days are now long gone. We now spend each day enjoying our own company. That wouldn't be so bad, but sometimes I really get on my own nerves. I would love to have someone else to talk to.

    This shutin syndrome is likely to get worse as we head into a cold Victorian winter. When it rains all day, we cannot even get out to ride our bikes or walk the dog. In fact we can't do much at all. You might think that it is good to have a rest, but too much rest is really overrated. It soon cascades into boredom.

    Today would have been even more difficult if we didn't have the excitement of having the weekly visit from the garbage man to look forward to. If that wasn't exciting enough, we also had the scheduled weekly delivery from Woolworths on line. Now that really was EXCITING with a capital E. Fresh milk, sanitizer, raspberries, bread, butter, chocolate, bananas and toilet paper. What more could we ever want ?

    Before the sacred cargo was allowed in the house, Maggie insisted on standing in the pouring rain to disinfect every single parcel. Less understanding husbands might have said something about OCD, but I bit my tongue instead. About 30 minutes later the final parcel was brought, followed by Maggie looking like a drowned rat. She tells me that she is NOT neurotic, she is just careful.

    The rest of the day was spent reading, resting and listening to the rain on the roof. Apparently we have 5 even colder and wetter days to look forward to. Fantastic.
    Read more