Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    The City of Bikes

    September 2, 2016 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Friday September 2nd
    In Which we Arrive at the City of Bikes

    The final day of any ride is always tinged with a mixture of elation and sadness. In some ways it is a wonderful feeling to complete the task that we have anticipated for so long, yet at the same time I don't think that anyone really wants it to finish.
    We really were blessed with a fantastic group of riders and we all enjoyed (just) about every minute of the ride from Bruges to Amsterdam. For several of our riders it was their first ever adventure with the Ghostriders and I really hope that it won't be their last.

    This final section was only about 50 km in length so we knew that it would not be too onerous, especially as our familiar tailwind was still blowing steadily to assist us on our way.

    A short distance along the way we stopped at a working cheese farm to observe how a small (100 head) operation functions.

    I think the owner's name was "Colby" (a pretty suitable name I thought for a cheesemaker) and she showed us how the baby female cows are given an opportunity to produce milk, while their unfortunate male siblings are taken on a one way holiday to the veal factory. I looked at all the cobwebs on the roof and the cow manure underneath and wondered whether standards for hygiene in Dutch farms may be a little slacker than the pristine sheds I have seen in Australian dairy farms.

    Colby did show us all the correct way to slice cheese with a Norwegian cheese slicer. "I want one ", said Maggie. I bought two, expecting to also be given a set of steak knives (but there weren't any). With the new cheese slicers in my pannier we set off again towards Amsterdam.

    One essential feature of all such group rides is the daily appointment of the "Sweeper". The role of the sweeper is to always ride at the rear of the peloton and take care of any stragglers who have dropped behind or lost their way. You might imagine that the job of the sweeper is not a very popular one, however I have had no problem in getting volunteers. This is probably because being the sweeper also brings with it the privilege of being custodian of one of our CB radios. I am usually the custodian of the other radio and this enables me to be notified of any problem (crash, puncture, photo delay, etc) that may be holding up riders at the rear

    I can then alert the rest of the group to slow down or stop, until the stragglers are reabsorbed into the group.

    When we stopped for morning tea Pascale produced something of a surprise from her pannier. It was one of the CB radios. Now how did that get there ? Of course I first accused the sweeper of having been careless with one of my valuable radios, but the sweeper (Gavan) immediately showed that his radio was still safely in his care. This was starting to get embarrassing. Now where was my CB ? It was no longer in my pannier. How could that happen ? At first I accused Pascale of blatant theft, but I suspect that the real reason was much closer to home. Since all the bikes look very similar, the evidence was pointing to my own personal incompetence. Apparently I had packed the radio into the wrong pannier by mistake at the start of the ride.I grabbed the radio back, packed it into my pannier, and tried to pretend it didn't happen.

    We all knew what a complete nightmare the bicycle menace of Amsterdam constituted, even though Tom had promised that it was "quite easy from this side". It wasn't. We soon found ourselves battling with a sea of bicycles and also about 400 runners doing some sort of fun run. I suppose such challenges are one reason why the population of Holland is steadily decreasing.

    We dodged and weaved our way along the teeming path and then proceeded to cross a huge bridge ( a bit like the West Gate Bridge, but just for bicycles). If this didn't kill us all nothing would. With bicycles coming at us from every direction, I wasn't really surprised when a tiny (very tiny) little car also came driving along the path as well. Why not ? After all it looked a bit like the tiny plastic car my grandchildren have such fun in, except this one had an engine.

    By a sheer miracle of nature and a temporary suspension of the laws of probability we all avoided fatal accidents and actually arrived at the Magnifique in high spirits, It was time for congratulations and hugs as we parked our bikes for the last time. Thirty riders started and all thirty riders finished this first section.
    We now have a short break before resuming our Odyssey Ride to Budapest. Some 9 riders will be leaving us in Amsterdam, while others will be joining us for the next leg.

    After our final dinner on the boat we climbed aboard a rocking wooden boat for a cruise around the elaborate canal networks of Amsterdam. A gentle rain started falling and I reminded everyone that this was the first rain we had seen since we left Bruges a week earlier.

    One of those doing her very first Ghostrider Adventure was Betty Taylor. I had known Betty and her husband Phil for many years and had often invited them to join us on a trip. It was hard to believe that they had finally gotten sick of my perpetual nagging and agreed to come along to shut me up. Betty captivated us all with a beautiful poem that she had written about the trip and the people that she had shared the adventure with. It almost sounded like they were glad they had come along. I never ceased to be amazed at the diverse sets of talents that I find in every group of people.

    Thanks so much to all those who shared section one, you are all champions.

    Editor's Postscript - Betty's Poem
    After months of trepidation
    The day had finally come
    We were to meet on the Magnifique
    The promise of lots of fun
    A welcome hug from Dennis
    Made us feel right at home
    I knew at that moment
    Our fate was set in stone
    The months of lack of training
    The fear of falling off
    All melted into oblivion
    The barge was far from rough
    Candelabras on the tables
    White table cloths all pressed
    Exquisite floral crockery
    The barge was beautifully dressed
    The crew were all so friendly
    And work so very hard
    Captain Roy at the helm
    Ingeborg on the guard
    Chef Raymon left quite quickly
    Chef Peter saved the day
    Jens always in the background
    Aida helping without delay
    And now we come to our guide Tom
    A presence beyond words
    His curly hair a relative
    Of sheep of many herds
    Perhaps that's why he is so good
    At dealing with the group
    He rides up front
    And we all follow like a little troupe
    There's Lou up front
    Who likes to speed
    He also likes
    A very good feed
    And at the back
    Our sweepers all
    We occasionally need
    To give them a call
    But fit young Douglas
    Manages to ride
    Back and forth
    To be our guide
    And Dennis Milling
    Is always there
    When turning corners
    To make us aware
    Of the direction we're going
    The twists and the turns
    Managing the traffic
    The bollards and curves
    Then there's Pauline and Gonnie
    Teaching us their ways
    Helping us out
    With a Dutch word or phrase
    There's Janna our queen
    Always on the move
    With endless energy exploring
    Wanting to improve
    And smiling John Hill
    The friendliest of us all
    Who says hello to everyone
    Even the birds that call
    Pascal is always the joker
    And Mary's full of grace
    Royce is the quiet thinker
    While Peggy sets a cracking pace
    Fran is always smiling
    And John R loves to sing
    Lisa's always helpful
    Carol loves a fling
    Maggie's chief photographer
    And Geoff knows how to dance
    Gavin's our belly dancer
    And Brigitte was born in France
    Diane does lots of research
    David's the butt of jokes
    Which he accepts good naturedly
    From all the cheeky folks
    Ross is one of the quiet ones
    Like Ken and Paul and Jan
    The sensitive,caring,creative group
    A must for any clan
    Rhonda loves the bushes
    Gael and Gerry are a pair
    Lynda loves her windmills
    Dennis wants us to be fair
    So now the sea of faces
    Have all become our friends

    So thank you Dennis kindly
    We're sad our trip now ends.
    Thanks for a great holiday
    Betty and Phillip
    Read more