Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Chobe National Park

    April 20, 2012 in Botswana ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    Friday 20th April – Chobe National Park Botswana

    The border crossing from Zambia to Botswana was absolute chaos with a massive backlog of huge trucks (most laden with copper ingots). Add in a generous number of enthusiastic hawkers, a handful of security staff a few stray dogs and clouds of dust and you have a good recipe for mass confusion. The slow ferry crossing can only take 1 truck at a time so it looked like some of the trucks would be waiting for many hours or days. It was little wonder that the drivers were settled in the shade, chatting and playing cards. They were obviously used to this sort of delay. Fortunately passenger buses get priority treatment and we were able to jump the long queue and get across the river after only 30 minutes wait.

    On the opposite side of the river, we entered Botswana. This was a country that I had first gained an interest in from reading the “Number 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency” series by Alexander McCall Smith. These painted a delightful picture of Botswana being a shining light to the other nations of Africa. Most of those in our group had also read these books and were keen to see the country we had read about.

    Soon after entering Botswana we stopped in the border town of Kasane and were able to buy some morning tea. The town was relatively modern, but it was a strange sight to see wandering warthogs happily strolling about the shopping centre. They seemed friendly enough and were obviously used to mixing with humans.

    Our destination was the Chobe Safari Lodge. This is one of many large tourist lodges in this area and was ideally situated right on the banks of the wide Chobe River. Although we would be staying in our tents, there were also many other accommodation options for those with larger budgets than us.

    Late in the afternoon we set out on a sunset cruise on the river and witnessed a staggering display of dozens of elephants, rhinos, hippos and crocodiles gathered on the river banks. The highlight was a solitary lion slowly making its way along the river. The proliferation of life in this park was far greater that any of us could have hoped to have seen. What a contrast to the dry deserts of Namibia, which by now seemed so far away.

    As the sun reaches the horizon the sky is painted with a dazzling display of bright red and orange hues. Although the sunsets are incredible, you do have to be quick with the camera as darkness comes swiftly.
    Read more