Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    This pils for you

    August 10, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    I have always wanted to do a brewery tour. Perhaps it was the influence of growing up in London Ontario birth place of Labatt's brewery that led me to have this desire. Of course Labatt's brewery had a nice brewery tour but despite having lived in London Ontario for 32 years, I never did the tour. So of course when I heard that there were brewery tours in Pilsen, a small city just outside of Prague, I bought us tour tickets. Madeline and Jada didn't want anything to do with the tour so they stayed in Prague and walked around in their brand new Doc Martin's they had bought the day before leaving for the trip got blisters and were happy.

    We took the train to Pilsen from Prague. It was good practice for our trip in three days to Brno. The train station was packed with people. It took us a little while to figure out which platform to wait on but it all worked out .

    The name of the brewery was Pilsener Urquell, Czech's oldest brewery founded in 1842 and known for its Pilsner beer for which it is named. Pilsner is a lager, cold bottom fermented, cold stored, made from soft water and made from a triple superheated wart. 9/10 of the beer brewed in the world is Pilsner so they obviously got something right. The tour was very good and the two hours whisked by very quickly. I think I enjoyed watching the bottles going through the assembly line the most. We were taken through all of the brewing stages both in the old and new buildings. Of course we all got a drink at the end of the tour. We were fortunate that we were able to get onto the 3 pm train to Prague rather than the later train we had booked. We were happily reunited with the girls who were nursing their blisters after a full day of shopping.
    Read more