Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Port Washington - Day 2

    August 22, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 73 °F

    We settled in nicely to boat time and boat life. We hung out in Port Jefferson and went to a hardware store and deli via uber with the dogs. Who knew that you could do that? Apparently, if you ask, you can. It was an easy two mile drive and we weren't in a hurry so we walked back. We were wanting to spend most the day not underway because the wind and tide would be perfect after 3 so we answered CTBL phones, did some trip planning and Dave, of course worked.
    What could go right? Long Island truly is a beautiful place to hang out. Our second stop, Port Washington at Leeds Beach is just PERFECT. There is absolutely no wake in this inlet for at least a mile and we had an entire stretch of beach all to ourselves. We kayaked the dogs back and forth (we have two dinghies, a kayak and a 15hp rib) and made chicken and broccoli and enjoyed the beautiful sunset. Oh, and the ride over, we were heading straight into the New York City skyline, which was pretty cool.
    What could go wrong? Well, that shaking that Dave was investigating turned out to be another bent prop (2nd of two for the year). That means Dave needs a piece of equipment and to don his scuba gear and take it off. The only place close that we can find that will balance the prop for us is in New Jersey. I spoke to some amazingly kind people looking for help, we adjusted our trip schedule and stops and will head to our help today (Day 3). Beyond the prop, we also had some lose cables and clamps that needed replacing. Fun Fun.
    My favorite memory of the day was when Dave was helping me out of the kayak at the boat and he dropped the paddle so he dropped me to grab the paddle. NOTE TO SELF: Make sure the paddle is secure before accepting Dave's help!
    Read more