Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Cohansey River Day 10

    August 30, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 79 °F

    Moving from Cape May to the Cohansey River was fairly uneventful. It's windy out there. We have been asked by a few people how the hurricane is affecting us. So far, it isn't. Man do our hearts go out to boaters in Florida though. Holy moly the water and wind those guys are facing. And it's just coming up the coast. We are keeping our eyes on it, but so far it doesn't look like we will move into this hurricane. We did look at each other yesterday and say, "Hey, lets go to Florida during hurricane season. Everyone does it!" :)

    The Cohansey river itself was a gem. Beautiful, quiet little fisherman's village.

    What Could Go Right? There was great shore access to get the doggies their potty break and we have great screens on our windows to keep out the horrible biting flies that love to live in the marsh grass we were surrounded by. Beautiful sunset to photo play in!

    What Could Go Wrong? We had some issues anchoring and floated down river a bit. We caught it pretty quick and after a couple of tries were able to set where we were comfortable. Dave set our anchor alarm and just after midnight, 2 hours after tide change and river direction change, the alarm blasted us awake. It was alerting us that we had moved out of position. It was due to the changes though and not anchor issues. Dave had to reassure me quite few times we were fine. Then the wind kicked up (it was estimated at about 20kts) intermittently and I laid awake worrying about our dinghy coming undone and listened to the pounding water of the river. Not my best night of sleep! But Dave was right, all was fine, and I finally did sleep for a few hours.
    Read more