Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Rock Hall to Deale, MD Day 19/20

    September 7, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 84 °F

    This was a pretty good transition to a horrible night. We spent fewer days at Rock Hall than we thought we would because the weather was really turning and we saw opportunity to move down the Chesapeake. However, when we got to Deale, what we thought was just a lunch stop, became our overnight stop in not so ideal conditions. The weather and wind against the tide picked up and we decided to stay the night on the shore of the Chesapeake in Deale, MD. We spent the entire night rocking and rolling and hoping that our anchor held. FitBit did not pick up my sleep accurately, so I have no idea what my sleep was, but I know that for both Dave and I it was rated - NOT GOOD! In the morning we saw a window of good weather and decided to grab it to get ourselves to a protected cove and a mooring ball. We had serious need of laundry and the dogs too needed their beauty sleep. That is where we will spend tonight, in Solomons Island.

    What Could Go Right? We have so many canned goods on the boat that when we woke up at 5am and knew we weren't going back to sleep and thought we would be spending the day in the rock and roll of the rain pounded surf, we pulled on our canned goods to make a creative breakfast. It was comforting and fun to know we could be resourceful in not ideal situations. Also, despite the heavy rains and anti tide winds, we were able to take the dogs to shore at regular intervals and they never suffered.

    What Could Go Wrong? The leaks still aren't fixed. Dave tries and tries and he's got many ideas he is working through, alas the drips they still come. As mentioned, we did not enjoy our night of non-sleep. It DID help us whittle down what we do and don't want from our oncoming adventures, but it was a very uncomfortable night. Finally, the water is still tasting funny. We are working with some hydrogen peroxide to see what works, but for now we are left drinking water that, at the very least, smells like pond water.

    Tomorrow we move again because there is a 2 day break of bad weather after that again. So we have plans of visiting the best crab cakes in Maryland (quite a boast) and getting ourselves to VA for a new dock and space to do a little work and get a little rest.
    Read more