Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Solomons Island to Deltaville, VA

    September 11, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    Oh my gosh what a beautiful day! Complete with the tiniest fishing village, our last Maryland Crab Cakes and dolphins! It truly was a spectacular day. I am kind of sad the pictures do not do it any justice. So I am really glad I am journaling a little, because the stories will remind me of the great days.

    We left very early (9am is early!) from our great spot at Solomons to head out to Tylerton Town Dock on Smith Island. Dave had read that they were reported to have Maryland's BEST Crab Cakes. The weather was perfect and the Chesapeake Bay was sparkling. We had the most adventurous entry to the little town dock through a very narrow and shallow channel. We actually did go aground a little when we couldn't decipher channel markers or our maps and made a slightly wrong turn. But Dave got us out of it quick and we persevered. At the end of this little channel was a dock that looked to be about 100 years old and a row of fishing shacks. There were a few people out and about on the little island, but no one at the dock. It was kind of eerie. We docked up and walked the block to the Drum Market for our crab cakes. I was ATTACKED by some kind of biting fly and we had to run inside with the dogs. The owner of the little market was very nice and let us shelter inside with our food. The crab cakes were good, but not the best. I honestly had the best the day before in Deale, but we were not disappointed and the adventure was well worth the meal.

    After Tylerton, we made it another 30 miles or so to Deltaville, VA. Along the way, we were once again greeted with beautiful weather and water. Just before entering Deltaville, we saw another pod of dolphins frolicking. I just love that! Deltaville is nothing more than a lot of boats in the water with very sparse land / town amenities. Dave and I got some groceries and spent the evening on the boat. The dogs love us being on the dock so they can walk easy and there is a little beach to swim at down the road. Duke has gotten to love swimming. Cookie still just loves to lay in the water.

    What Could Go Right? Almost everything! It was just such a perfect day.

    What Could Go Wrong? As I type, Dave is working on those windows! He has plans to work on the oil leak tomorrow. Dave has now developed some sort of rash and I have some sort of numbness going on on my foot I am looking into. We keep saying how glad we are doing this now in our 50's. We are very impressed by those older than us making these trips and suffering these mysterious ailments and getting all these chores done.

    We're in Deltaville for a few days as it is supposed to rain. At least that is the plan for now.
    Read more