Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 61

    Charleston to Beaufort, SC

    October 20, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 70 °F

    10 Days in Charleston! We walked. Oh my gosh did we walk! Charleston IS such a great community (Michelle). The hospitality, the quaint nature of the cobblestone streets, the huge Southern Mansions, the wharf area, the sheer size. It was a great city to spend time. To cap it off, where we were docked dolphins visited ALL the time. We woke up quite a bit at sunrise to watch them frolic while the sun rose over the city. Our dock was not exactly ideal. The way the water and wind hit it, made for a very rocky and rolly stay, but we were so conveniently located to everything that it balanced out. Charleston definitely made it to the top of our list. We fell more in love with North Carolina people, but Charleston itself had a lot to recommend it.

    Then the most awesome thing happened! Both my girls' and their boyfriends came to visit for two nights. It has been almost a year since I have seen them and I was so very happy. We got an airbnb at a local beach and just enjoyed each others company. We walked on the beach at night and played in the surf during the day. We had a few good meals. I made a baked chicken feast the first night and it was SO NICE making them dinner and sitting to enjoy it. Just like old times. It HURT to say goodbye again for lord knows how long, but alas everyone has these lives they are pursuing. And Dave and I were bound for our next stop and our next visit with family.

    We moved to Beaufort, SC! We got in around 530pm, time for dinner and a quick walk and back to our boat before the sun goes down. Dave's mom and dad are joining us for a few days to explore the city and say hello along our journey. We are looking forward to that.

    What Could Go Right? We saw every inch of Charleston by foot. We never walked the same walk twice. It was great exercise and so incredibly neat. I can not explain what it meant to see my kids and just soak them in. Dave got all the hatches installed on the boat and patched up the holes nice and tight. Things were very good.

    What Could Go Wrong? We have a smell that Dave is investigating today and a fuel pump he is replacing. It is actually a funny problem that when we run low on fuel, the boat tells us by chugging every few minutes. It's like it is talking to us, "Hey! Fill me up!" Dave has figured some work arounds for the power issues we have, but I am a little nervous for when we cross over to the Bahamas and have no access to any conveniences. We may be doing a bit more camping than we have the last two months.

    That's right! Two months have passed! What an accomplishment! We are still floating. We have a way of living that works for the most part and the adventure continues.
    Read more