Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    North Conway, New Hampshire

    September 27, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    It was time to close the book on our whirlwind tour of Atlantic Canada. This isn't our customary style of travel....a different hotel or B&B almost every night as well as many travel miles.....so we were both feeling a bit exhausted. Perhaps as a result, JS turned the air blue as we left Saint John early Sunday morning because the GPS couldn't locate the satellite as quickly as he would like. So we meandered a bit before reaching the Trans Canada Highway. Later in the morning we reflected on the past 2 weeks.

    Likes:

    - breakfasts, but not the beds, at most of our B&Bs
    - the pastoral life of PEI and the ruggedness of Cape Breton Island
    - fresh lobster, scallops and haddock that we ate almost daily
    - warm, sometimes hot, sunny days
    - beautiful scenery around every corner
    - friendly, welcoming reception by the locals
    - the historical significance of the people and places

    Dislikes:

    - the major cities, except for Charlottetown
    - we kept missing the kitchen parties so sadly did not attend one
    - rude Quebecois who ought to just stay home
    - the high cost of lodging, meals, and gas
    - the weight I gained from eating all that good food, not to mention the wine

    The 7 hour drive went by quickly and we arrived in NH around 5. When we checked into our timeshare condo, we were assigned a regular hotel room with a small kitchenette instead of the studio suite I had paid for. Since they were full for the night we reluctantly accepted this room. The photo is of the main building but the timeshare units are located in a separate building at the rear. North Conway is situated in White Mountain National Forest and reminds us of a much smaller version of Banff. I was expecting vibrant Fall foliage but apparently it is slower than usual this year so the leaves are just beginning to turn.

    -
    Read more